You should take the following steps to file a claim with your moving company for lost or damaged goods. Upon delivery, double check that you’ve received every item listed on the inventory sheet. Notify the driver of any damages to the boxes, or stand-alone items, before he leaves. When you are certain that you’re missing an item or an item has been damaged in transit, immediately contact your mover. If you need to file a claim for lost or damaged goods, you should understand that the faster you file a claim with your moving company, the quicker the claims are processed.
Here’s how to expedite the claims process:
- Alert your Driver and Move Consultant of any lost or damaged goods immediately.
- Collect evidence of the damage by taking photos of the broken items and boxes.
- Do not attempt to fix or toss away damaged goods, for a Claims Adjuster may ask to examine them.
- Specify the estimated retail costs or value of the damaged goods.
- Check the terms and conditions set forth by the moving company on the Bill of Lading (the receipt you received from the mover) and Inventory sheet.
Note: Time limitations governing when you can file a claim are based on the move contract. For interstate moves, you have up to 9 months to file a claim. For intrastate moves, you have up to 90 days to file a claim. Please ask your coordinator about your specific filing time frame.