For many people, the prospect of moving overseas is incredibly exciting. You could literally start a brand new life in someplace you have probably never been.
You would meet new people, learn new customs and more. Is it the right choice for you, though?
Here are 10 questions to ask yourself to determine if moving overseas is a good decision in your case.
1. Do you speak the language?
This is an incredibly important question to answer.
If you are not moving to an area where English is spoken, you will need to consider learning the language well before the move.
This is important for everything from getting directions to making new friends to actually enjoying your new life.
2. Where will I live?
- Are you relocating for your current employer?
- If so, will they be providing assistance with housing?
- If you are moving for a new job, where will you live?
- What can you afford in the new location?
This is a very important series of questions to answer, and you should start as soon as possible.
3. Do I do well with change?
Moving internationally is an enormous change. How well do you cope with change in your life? Do you enjoy doing new things?
Do you crave new experiences? If you do not, then an international move might not be the right choice for you.
4. What is the new company like?
What is the culture like in your new company? What about your soon-to-be coworkers?
If you do not enjoy the culture or the people you work with, you will be miserable and feel even further from home.
5. How will I meet new people?
This is particularly important for countries where English is not the first language.
Where will you meet new people other than at your job? What sorts of activities and social options are available?
6. What are the schools like?
If you are moving with your family and you have school-age kids; what are the schools like?
Will your kids be happy once they adjust? Is the education of high quality?
Check out our article: Preparing Your Kids for an International Move
7. Is my spouse on board with this?
- If your spouse is moving with you, is he or she really on board?
- Where will your spouse work?
- How will the move affect his or her career?
8. What is the weather like there?
Believe it or not, the weather will have a huge impact on how much you enjoy the new location. Is it rainy, hot and arid, or humid and tropical?
Finding out beforehand about the weather can save you disappoint once the boxes are all unpacked.
9. What if things do not work out?
Do you have a backup plan in place if things do not go as planned in the new location?
If not, make one immediately.
10. Can I afford to live there?
What is the cost of living like in the new country?
Will your new job pay enough that you can afford to live there as comfortably as you are used to?
Answer these questions and you will have a better idea of whether an international move is right for you.