Relocating your business is a big decision. There are so many things to consider and do. You may worry about trusting someone else with your company’s equipment, files and more. There is so much more involved with relocating a business than with a home. Relocating with a professional mover is your best choice- but with all the available options, how can you be sure you are choosing the right one?
Consider these tips to make your decision easier.
Four Tips for Choosing an Office Mover
- Look at the whole picture.
Consider the needs of your company. There may be services, in addition to just moving, that you need. These can include packing assistance, storage, transportation of company vehicles, crating of artwork and proper handling of sensitive items such as files and IT equipment.
- Find an office moving specialist.
Some moving companies specialize in relocating businesses. There is much more involved with moving a business than moving a residence. You want to confirm that the company you choose is expert at moving office equipment, computers and more. Find out how many moving trucks will be needed/used and whether you can save some money by using a few large trucks or more small ones.
- Insist on a site visit with your quote.
A site visit by the company quoting your office move is necessary because they need to see for themselves all that is involved. Stairs that must be used to get around, narrow hallways, item weights and how far the exit doors are to where the moving truck will be – all of this will be considered in the price. Unless you pack for yourself, packing services will also be calculated in the price. Make sure that all quotes are in writing and find out if there is anything that could cause the price to increase or decrease.
- Get three quotes.
Prepare a list of all of your office’s needs and call at least three different companies for quotes. This will help you to compare prices, ensuring that you are not receiving unrealistic quotes or paying too much.
When choosing a company to relocate your office, you want to be sure you are choosing the right company. Following are four questions you should ask companies when you call or have them come out to give you a quote.
Questions to Ask
- Are they willing to offer you references from their last three to five office moves? This way you can ask about the experience those companies/offices had. If they are not willing to do this, they may not be as honest as they seem.
- Do they offer some sort of insurance coverage for your items? If so, what kind? Do they cover the full value of your things or will you be required/expected to purchase supplemental coverage? You want a company that is willing to cover any loss/damage if they mishandle your items.
- Will the company be assigning enough people to quickly and efficiently move your office? Moving an office means you will have some downtime and you want that time to be as short as possible.
- Ask them to explain the costs in detail and find out if they charge by weight, by hour or a combination of the two.
Relocating a business is a stressful thing to do because there is so much to consider. However, choosing an office mover does not have to be stressful. Keep these tips in mind and you can be sure that you will choose a company that you can trust to keep everything safe and make the transition as smooth as possible.